Aldon Smith makes a deal with San Francisco prosecutors

first_imgCLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos or video on a mobile deviceFormer 49ers and Raiders pass rusher Aldon Smith accepted a plea deal from San Francisco prosecutors Monday, pleading no contest to violating a court order and false imprisonment, according to TMZ Sports.The charges stemmed from a domestic disturbance in March. Smith’s then-fiancee claimed the troubled Pro Bowl linebacker attacked her at their San Francisco residence. Smith was charged with domestic violence, …last_img read more

Tri-colour hoisted at Games Village

first_imgThe Indian tri-colour was hoisted at the picturesque Asian Games Village on Thursday and as the national anthem was rendered, athletes and officials stood up with pride in their hearts. When one is at home and hears the national anthem, people do stand up. But the mood changes altogether abroad, what with so much at stake in a mega event.This was a day when differences didn’t seem to matter as Indian Olympic Association secretary general Randhir Singh and president Suresh Kalmadi were sitting close to each other.To say that differences exist between these two sports officials would be stating the obvious. However, away from home, where Randhir also wears the hat of Olympic Council of Asia secretary general, he was trying not to be critical.”We are hopeful that India will do well at the Asian Games. Considering our results at the Commonwealth Games and previous editions of the Asiad, we will do better. Recently, US president Barack Obama stated that India is now growing to be a superpower. I see that happening in the sphere of sports as well,” he said.Randhir has more things to worry about in coming days as the OCA will be taking note of countries which want to bid for the 2019 Asian Games. “On Friday and Saturday, we have the OCA executive board and the general body meeting. India will put its claim forward,” he said. Even though the better known athletes from the shooting fraternity like Gagan Narang, Abhinav Bindra, Manavjit Sandhu and Ronjan Sondhi were not present at the ceremony, the other athletes mingled freely.advertisementSaina Nehwal and Sania Mirza were also not there but talk had already veered around to who will be the flag-bearer on Friday at the opening ceremony in case Gagan Narang skipped it.As the shooting competitions start just a day later and Narang will be competing in the air rifle event, there is speculation that he would perhaps like to rest on Friday and miss the opening ceremony. Narang was himself not available for comment on Thursday.However, given the hype over who will be the flagbearer at an Asian Games, it is expected Narang will be there.Randhir said that it was not a big issue. “At the Moscow Olympics, I was named the flag-bearer but had to skip it as I had a competition soon. As of now, it will be Saina Nehwal who will be the alternate to Narang,” he said.However, Kalmadi had a different take on the subject and he said: “Gagan would not skip the opening.”Amidst all this speculation, TV channels started asking MC Mary Kom if she would like to be the flag bearer! She, however, did not want to say anything.last_img read more

Mercedes-Benz to increase investment in India by 2014

first_imgLuxury car maker Mercedes-Benz India has decided to increase its investment to Rs 850 crore by 2014. The German car maker has already made an investment of over Rs 480 crores spread across its 31 showroom and 41 service outlets located in 31 Indian cities.MBIL pioneered the luxury car industry in India by starting its India operations in 1994. The company moved into its production facility spread over 100 acres in Chakan in year 2009. Mercedes-Benz India is setting up its own technologically advanced paint shop, which will be operational by October, 2012. The new paint shop will have an annual capacity of 20,000 units.Mercedes-Benz India locally manufactures its flagship sedans the C-Class, the E-Class and the S-Class sedan in its Chakan plant near Pune. ‘”We are bullish about the Indian market and this is reflected in our long term commitment towards the dynamic Indian market. The investment of Rs 850 crores will help us strengthen our production and operational capabilities with regards to our existing products and our exciting and aggressive product offensive which we are readying for the Indian market,” said Peter T Honegg, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India, while talking to a business daily.Mercedes-Benz India ‘s sales reportedly fell nearly 24 per cent to 1,633 units during April-July, compared with 2,141 units sold in the year-ago period.”The rupee has had a terrible impact on the company. We are close to catastrophic mood means we are cutting costs wherever possible, our guys are flying economy (class), we are going to cheaper hotels, we are cost cutting wherever possible,” a news report quoting Peter Honegg, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Mercedes-Benz India, said.    The report said the company is forced to absorb Rs 3 of every jump of Rs 10 in prices to avoid impacting retail demand which has been under pressure.In order to counter BMW and Audi’s rise in volumes riding high on the back of demand for cheaper sports utility vehicles (SUVs), Mercedes is also gearing up to launch a compact SUV in 2014-15 in India.Besides, the German company has also opened its first showroom in Lucknow, the first such dealership by a luxury car maker in Uttar Pradesh. The luxury car maker is expanding its footprint to Tier-II cities despite facing a stiff competition from rivals BMW and Audi.The company has recently launched such dealerships in Indore (Madhya Pradesh) and Karnal (Haryana), plans to sell 50 cars by December through the Lucknow dealership, ‘Smart Hoops’, and double the sales in 2013.With Agency inputsadvertisementlast_img read more

9 months agoBurnley boss Dyche: Luck was with us

first_imgBurnley boss Dyche: Luck was with usby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley earned victory over Fulham thanks to two own goals.Andre Schurrle’s wonderful early strike was cancelled out in the 20th minute when Jeff Hendrick’s effort went in off Joe Bryan.And three minutes later it was Denis Odoi who inadvertently beating Sergio Rico, heading in after Hendrick crossed.Burnley boss Sean Dyche said afterwards: “They were very tough conditions for both teams and it was a very tough win, for many reasons.“I didn’t think we played as well today as we did in the previous two wins, but the mentality to come back from a goal down for the second game in a row was terrific and I thought we grew into the game and ended up being the more progressive side.“We got a scratch of luck, but I’m not going to cry that one in because I don’t think we’ve had our share this season.“And towards the end James (Tarkowski) does what we maybe weren’t doing enough of at the start of the season, by making an absolutely fantastic block to make sure we go and win the game.“That’s as good a goal for me!”Dyche added: “They threw caution to the wind in the second half and why wouldn’t you?“They haven’t won away all season and they are trying to get a foothold in an important game, so they went very expansive, but I don’t remember them opening us up too many times.“The resilience, character and energy is back in the side and we are doing all the details better.“Earlier in the season we were conceding a lot of soft goals. We have to continue, of course, but what it does is provide a mental shift.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Here’s Video Of NC State Students Going Nuts After Beejay Anya’s Game-Winner

first_imgNC State watch Beejay Anya hit game-winner.NC State scored a huge come-from-behind victory Thursday night, as sophomore forward Beejay Anya hit a game-winning jump hook with no time remaining on the clock against LSU to move his team to the third round of the NCAA Tournament. As you’d imagine, the fans back in Raleigh were just a bit excited. The below video, which shows a few hundred students celebrating on campus, has gone viral.Here’s Anya’s shot, for those who missed it. The party is on in Raleigh. The Wolfpack will get No. 1 Villanova on Saturday, and if they win that one, look out.last_img read more

NYK JMU Get AIP for LNGFueled Bulk Carrier Design

first_imgzoomImage Courtesy: WMN Classification society ClassNK has granted an approval in principle (AIP) to NYK Line and Japan Marine United (JMU) for their joint project on the concept design of an LNG-fueled bulk carrier.The awarded AIP is in line with ClassNK’s Rule Part GF which adopts IGF Code — regulation for ships using low-flashpoint fuels.The design is based on a 200,000 dwt bulk carrier developed by JMU. Apart from the increased amount of equipment such as its LNG-fueled tank and LNG fuel supply system, it provides more cargo hold capacity.By running on LNG, in addition to reducing NOx, SOx, and PM emissions, this vessel is expected to satisfy Phase 3 of the Energy Efficient Design Index (EEDI) defined by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) for ship GHG emissions.“The design developed by NYK and JMU meets the industry’s demand for an increase in cargo capacity while also being environmentally friendly. As a classification society, we have confirmed the safety of the design and are very happy to be involved with this innovative project,” Hayato Suga, ClassNK Corporate Officer and Director of Technical Solution Department.last_img read more

Prince Harry Attends Annual WellChild Awards

first_imgPrince Harry attended the annual WellChild Awards Ceremony last week.Prince Harry talks to Nicole ChristouCredit/Copyright: www.princehenryofwales.org/Prince George has already learned to smile, his proud uncle told children at the charity awards ceremony. Speaking at the WellChild event, Prince Harry told young award winners that he had visited the baby earlier in the day.He said to nine-year-old Nikki Christou: “I’ve just literally seen him. It was the first time I’ve seen him smile.”The Prince is patron of the WellChild charity, which is dedicated to the needs of sick children and their families, and was guest of honour at its annual awards ceremony that celebrates the lives of the youngsters and those who care for them.Nikki received the Most Inspirational Child for girls aged seven to 11 award at The Dorchester Hotel event in central London after raising £20,000 for research into her condition, an incurable malformation in her face which affects her nose, cheekbone and right eye.She was keen to raise the subject of Prince George – as she shares his July 22 birthday, has a father called George and a brother called Alexander, the baby Prince’s middle name.Nikki, from Enfield, north London, said that Prince Harry said “wow, very, very weird” when told of the coincidence, and she described meeting him as “really nice”.Her mother Tanya added: “He said he’d just come from seeing his nephew and he was having a bath, but normally when he sees him, he’s usually sleeping or crying.“He said it was the first time he’d seen him smile. He seemed quite pleased.” Madison Kirk, six, who received the award for Most Inspirational Child for a girl aged three to six, was also keen to ask about Prince George.Her mother Mary, from Grantham, Lincolnshire, said: “He was talking about his nephew. He said it was lovely having a new nephew, he said it was fantastic.”Madison, who was diagnosed with large cell lymphoma last year, also asked Prince Harry what it was like being a Prince, to which he replied with a laugh: “Good and bad.”Prince Harry, wearing a navy blue suit, white shirt and pale blue patterned tie, got down on his knees to be at eye level with many of the seriously ill children.Prince Harry talks to Jonathan, aged six.Credit/Copyright: www.princehenryofwales.org/He seemed amused by six-year-old Jonathan He, who sung a song for him about digging his garden. Prince Harry gave the little boy from Milton Keynes, who has a rare genetically-inherited immunological condition and glaucoma, a round of applause for his performance.Jonathan, who won the award for Most Inspirational Child for boys aged three-to-six year old, said The Prince praised him for the song and added: “He said it was brilliant.”In a short speech after presenting awards to Jonathan and Madison, Prince Harry described the award winners as “unbelievably brave” and said: “I’m hugely humbled to be patron of WellChild and I count myself incredibly lucky to be patron, as well as coming down here this evening.“It’s always so clear for everyone to see how brave and inspirational the children are, but very easy to forget what a huge effect it has on the parents, nurses and all the family.”Celebrities at the event included singer Rod Stewart and wife Penny Lancaster, presenter Konnie Huq, Apprentice star and businesswoman Karren Brady, comedian Tim Vine and singer Pixie Lott, with entertainment from Scouting for Girls.Source:PrinceHenryOfWales.orglast_img read more

Urban Meyer Redshirt philosophy unchanged health key to winning in November

With just one win — or a Michigan State loss — in the way of Ohio State and a ticket to the Big Ten Championship Game, coach Urban Meyer said staying healthy is the key to winning late in the season.Meyer spoke on the Big Ten teleconference Tuesday afternoon and addressed OSU’s goal of clinching a spot in the conference title game, the development of junior offensive lineman Taylor Decker and his unwavering stance on redshirting players. He also talked about the upcoming matchup with Indiana and reiterated praise for one Hoosier offensive weapon.Meyer said he hopes his players understand that “they clinch a spot in the championship game with a win.”Meyer said the Buckeyes had probably their best Sunday practice of the season this week.He said Decker is a “model citizen for a team and program … he’s a much better player too.”Meyer on Decker: “I can’t say enough about how much he’s grown in two years.”Meyer said he “probably should have played” freshman defensive lineman Sam Hubbard earlier this season because “he’s doing really, really good.” Meyer added that it’s too hard to burn a year of eligibility by putting a player on the field this late in the season.Meyer said he still doesn’t intend to redshirt players off the bat. “If you’re not good enough, you won’t play or if you’re hurt, you won’t play,” he said. “If you’re recruiting a good player, play him.”He singled out redshirt-freshman cornerback Eli Apple and redshirt-freshman linebacker Darron Lee as two players who benefited from sitting out a season.Meyer said he doesn’t expect Apple to be at OSU for five years. “My guess is, if he continues to improve, that they move on,” he said.On what the key to winning in November is, Meyer said: “Without question, it’s the health of your team and managing practice.”He singled out freshman linebacker Dante Booker and freshman safety Erick Smith as two young players who are excelling late in the season after developing throughout the year.Meyer said Indiana junior running back Tevin Coleman is “ridiculous.” Coleman ran for 307 yards in a loss to Rutgers last week.He added that Coleman is “definitely an NFL running back.”Meyer said sophomore punter Cameron Johnston had his “worst day this year” against Minnesota last Saturday.He said current Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith had a similar impact at Utah that redshirt-freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett has had in place of senior Braxton Miller this season.The Buckeyes are scheduled to take on Indiana on Saturday at Ohio Stadium. Kickoff is set for noon. read more

Mens Volleyball No 5 Ohio State maintains undefeated MIVA start with 30

Redshirt sophomore middle blocker Blake Leeson celebrates a point with his teammates in the 2017 NCAA tournament. Credit: Ashley Nelson | Station ManagerThe No. 5 Ohio State men’s volleyball team (9-2, 2-0 MIVA) swept No. 14 Fort Wayne (9-2, 1-1 MIVA) in three straight sets to maintain an undefeated conference record.Ohio State head coach Pete Hanson said it was not clear going into the match whether to expect a three-, four- or five-set match.“They’re a much improved team, but they had a really, really tough year last year. Improvement is kind of in the eye of the beholder,” Hanson said. “They’re playing a bunch of sophomores, and some freshmen and maybe a junior, and I think the experience and the moment kind of favored us.”The first set foreshadowed a good serving match for the Buckeyes, who amounted four service aces in the first set alone. Fort Wayne struggled with receiving serves and were unable to run an aggressive offense, averaging a .143 as a team. Mastodon redshirt outside hitter Colton Stone carried Fort Wayne in kills, contributing five of its nine total kills.Ohio State also struggled with attacking in the first set, hitting a .143. Despite matching Fort Wayne’s hitting percentage, the Buckeyes won the set 25-23.Mastodon blockers were successful in moving from pin to pin across the net and keeping the ball on Ohio State’s side, but the Buckeyes countered with good defense by staying light on their feet and moving to the ball. The Buckeyes picked up their offense in the second set, hitting a match-high .393 hitting percentage and shutting down Fort Wayne’s defense and counterattacks. Ohio State middle blockers Blake Leeson and Nick Laffin showed force from the middle, contributing seven kills, helping the Buckeyes win 25-19.The night seemed to go downhill for the Mastodons in the final set with their hitting percentage dropping to -.125 for the set. Both teams passed well, but Ohio State had a better handle on the ball that allowed them to surge ahead. The Buckeyes felt comfortable enough to sub in sophomore outside hitter Reese Devilbliss and sophomore setter Andrew Hillman for some late-set gameplay. Toward the beginning, the teams were close, but leading 5-4, Ohio State went on a 10-3 point run to put them at 15-7. The third set was the lowest scoring for Fort Wayne, who lost to the Buckeyes by 11 points, 25-14.“I think Fort Wayne struggled with connecting on their pins,” Leeson said. “I think their offense was a little too fast for their own ability in some cases, forcing thins, trying to get split blocks and it worked sometimes, but they were high-error.”After the match, Hanson said he thought the team’s serving played an important role in its win. “Our servers put a lot of pressure on their passers and their offense and if you look at the stats, their hitting numbers got worse as the match went on because our serving got better as the match went on,” he said.The Buckeyes ended the weekend on a high note, starting conference season off 2-0 after their victories against Ball State and Fort Wayne. Ohio State will continue conference play at St. John Arena, facing Lindenwood University on Thursday and Quincy University on Saturday. read more