Despite no recorded cases, Bali tourism still catches cold from COVID-19 outbreak

first_imgWhen Ketut Suarsa Dipa, 41, heard about an outbreak caused by a new strain of coronavirus in China in January, he was not particularly concerned.But as the virus, later called SARS-CoV-2 which causes the COVID-19 disease, spread fast across the globe and dramatically reduced the number of foreign tourists coming to Bali, the freelance driver began to worry about whether he would earn enough for his family and perhaps even the possibility of getting infected himself.     “Many customers have decided to cancel their trips to Bali. Most of them say that they decided to stay at home, because of worries about the virus,” said Suarsa, who is a father of three. Topics : The Bali Immigration Office recorded 392,824 tourists arriving in February, a 33 percent drop from January, after the government imposed travel bans to and from mainland China on Feb. 5 to curb the spread of the outbreak. Australians replaced Chinese as the biggest number of foreign tourists last month, followed by India and Japan.Only 4,820 Chinese tourists remained in Bali in February, decreasing significantly from 113,745 people the previous month.Suarsa said that it was not only Chinese travelers who had stopped traveling to the island. “My customers [who had booked] from India, Bangladesh and South Korea also canceled their trips,” he said.Suarsa said he felt grateful that tourists from Australia were still coming but given the wider travel restrictions imposed by Indonesia and other countries he is not sure that he can make a living driving tourists in the upcoming months.center_img Wayan Juni, 31, a resident of Kuta, voiced similar concerns as guests canceled bookings at her family homestay. Guests from Australia currently occupy two out of four rooms in her building, the two others have been empty since two guests from South Korea and the United States canceled their trips.“[The homestay] is usually fully booked in March,” she said.Tourism areas such as Kuta, Legian and Seminyak appear to be quiet. Many hotel staff members say they are worried about layoffs, as fewer guests are arriving.Deputy Bali Governor Tjokorda Oka Artha Ardana Sukawati said several hotels had reduced shifts to cut employment costs. “We understand this is because some hotels depend on Chinese tourists, and the occupancy rates have dropped to only 5 percent, and even zero,” said Ardana, who is also the chairman of Bali Hotels and Restaurants Association (PHRI Bali).He said the drop in foreign tourist numbers has cost the tourist sector Rp 50 billion (US$3.53 million) per day, and he fears that the worst is yet to come.  “I’m worried that other countries will ban travel to Indonesia,” said Ardana, hoping that Australia would not impose any travel restrictions on Bali.Bali Tourism Agency head Putu Astawa said that aside from Australia, tourists from Europe were still coming and they mostly stayed in Sanur.A Chinese man tested positive for the virus early in February, eight days after returning from Bali. He departed on Lion Air flight JT2618 from Wuhan – the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak – to Bali on Jan. 22. He took Garuda Indonesia flight GA858 from Denpasar to Shanghai on Jan. 28 and checked into a hotel in Shanghai at 1:30 a.m. on Jan. 29.The Indonesian authorities have played down the possibility that he was infected with the virus while on the island.    “We also know that he got in a taxi or other public transportation upon returning to Shanghai on Jan. 28. He might have been infected there,” said Achmad Yurianto, a Health Ministry spokesperson.The provincial administration, however, has since increased surveillance to keep the island free from the virus. It has prepared mitigation systems and applied World Health Organization standards.With three hospitals—Sanglah Hospital in Denpasar, Sanjiwani Hospital in Gianyar, and Tabanan Hospital in Tabanan—earmarked for treating coronavirus patients, two Indonesians and 10 foreign nationals are under observation in a total of five hospitals. The two other hospitals being Mangusada Hospital and Siloam Hospital, all in Badung, each treating one patient with suspected symptoms.  “We are waiting for the COVID-19 test results [for the patients],” said Bali Health Agency head Ketut Suarjaya.He said the administration was also preparing Udayana Hospital in Jimbaran as an isolation hospital if a large number of cases emerged.  Suarjaya said thermal screening was being applied at I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport. “Those who show symptoms like fever and a high temperature will be sent to the hospital’s isolation unit and will be observed for at least 14 days,” Suarjaya said.last_img read more

Gov. Wolf Calls for Paid Sick and Family Leave for Workers

first_imgGov. Wolf Calls for Paid Sick and Family Leave for Workers August 31, 2020 SHARE Email Facebook Twittercenter_img Economy,  Press Release As Pennsylvanians continue to fight the health risks of COVID-19, Governor Tom Wolf is calling for the General Assembly to pass legislation for paid sick and family leave for workers who need to miss work for an illness or to take care of a loved one.“Pennsylvanians are working hard, especially during this pandemic, and they should not have to choose between losing a day’s pay or going to work sick,” said Gov. Wolf. “It’s time for the General Assembly to stand up for Pennsylvania’s workers and protect the health of all Pennsylvanians.”Paid sick leave can be used to recover from an illness, such as COVID-19, for medical appointments, to care for a family member, or to seek help from abuse or violence.“Pennsylvania workers have waited long enough, and the pandemic has made the need for paid sick leave more urgent,” said Gov. Wolf. “All employees should have healthy and safe workplaces. There are many paid sick and family leave bills in the legislature, and I’m committed to working with the General Assembly to finally get workers the earned leave they deserve.”Enacting a paid sick leave law would help an estimated 400,000 Pennsylvanians, particularly low-wage workers who are forced to work when ill, risking their health and the employees and customers around them. Providing paid sick leave would improve public health and help to prevent more people from getting sick.The governor was joined for a press conference at andculture, a Harrisburg design firm that supports paid sick leave, by Senators Vincent Hughes, Maria Collett and Pam Iovino and Reps. Mike Schlossberg and Steve Malagari.“Working people deserve employer-paid sick leave so they can attend to the health and wellness of themselves or their families when necessary,” said Sen. Vincent Hughes. “Whether we are in a pandemic or conducting business as normal, the lack of paid sick leave is an overwhelming stressor on our low-income workers, our health care system, and public health in general. Employer-paid sick leave is already working in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. The General Assembly must prioritize protecting hundreds of thousands of low-income Pennsylvanians who stand to benefit from adopting paid sick leave across the commonwealth.”“Even before COVID hit, Pennsylvania’s families were in trouble,” said Sen. Maria Collett. “As a prime sponsor of SB 580, the Family Care Act, I was painfully aware that more than 80 percent of hardworking Pennsylvanians had no form of paid leave to care for themselves or a sick loved one without fear of losing their jobs. Over the past few months, we’ve been putting Band-aids on bullet holes to help families and small businesses try to survive. But bigger, systemic changes are required, and I am glad to see Governor Wolf stepping up and supporting programs like paid leave that are both widely supported and long overdue.”Rep. Mike Schlossberg added, “We’ve heard a lot of talk about essential workers in the last six months. Opponents of sick leave will argue that every worker is essential. That’s a perfectly valid argument to make if it’s one backed up with policy. You can’t tell a worker they are essential and then tell them their health is irrelevant.”“No employee should ever have to choose between taking care of a sick family member and keeping their job; and no employer should have to choose between the health of their business and loyalty to their workers,” said Sen. Pam Iovino. “That was true before the pandemic hit, but now, as working families and businesses in my district and across Pennsylvania persevere through this challenge, paid family leave has become an absolute necessity for the health of our families and our economy. I am committed to working with my colleagues on getting a bipartisan bill to Governor Wolf’s desk.”“Paid parental and sick leave provides stability and peace of mind to both businesses and working families, especially at times of uncertainty,” said Rep. Steve Malagari. “Paid leave reduces staff turnover and makes financial sense for businesses. If you truly want to support family values, and if you want to support our economy, then you need to support paid leave for our hardworking families.”Eight states and Washington D.C. have approved legislation to create paid family and medical leave insurance programs. The loss of productivity in the United States economy from illness in the workplace is $160 billion annually, mostly due to employees coming to work while sick, according to the Main Street Alliance. An estimated $1 billion is spent on health care costs due to lack of paid sick days, the Alliance concluded.Today, the governor also announced that the commonwealth’s new paid parental leave policy will take effect Oct. 15. Commonwealth employees will be eligible for up to six weeks of paid parental leave to care for a child after a birth, adoption, or foster care placement. The new policy is separate from any accrued sick or paid time off that the employee may have earned.Expanding opportunities for new parents to spend time with children following a birth, adoption or foster placement helps to build connections and strengthen families, which is critical to health and development.Paternal leave also helps to bridge the gap to child care programs that often require newborns to be at least six weeks old to enroll. If parents have paid family leave, they can spend time with their baby without having to worry about a paycheck. Paid parental leave is also a valuable benefit to attract new employees and encourage experienced employees to return to work and resume their careers following the welcoming of a new child to their family.Ver esta página en español.last_img read more

Dawson signs new Baggies deal

first_img The 24-year-old centre back has started all six of Albion’s league matches and claimed his first goal for the club in the 4-0 win over Burnley on Sunday. Dawson’s new deal will keep him at The Hawthorns until 2017. Craig Dawson has signed a new three-year deal with West Brom. Press Associationcenter_img Albion head coach Alan Irvine said: “Obviously Craig was very unsettled when I first arrived in the summer but we as a club were never interested in selling him. “We felt he had the potential to be a top centre-back and once he got his head settled and knew he wasn’t going anywhere he started to put in very good performances. “His level of consistency has kept him in the team despite having our top international centre-backs breathing down his neck. “Getting a new contract, which he thoroughly deserves, completes a great start to the season for him and I’m really pleased for the lad.” Dawson, who can also slot in at right-back, joined the Baggies from Rochdale for an undisclosed fee in the summer of 2010, although he returned to his hometown club on loan for the 2010-11 season. His Albion debut came in the League Cup the following campaign and he was selected as part of Stuart Pearce’s Team GB squad at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Having started 2012/13 at The Hawthorns, Dawson went on to spend the second half of the season on loan at Bolton – featuring for England in the Under-21 European Championship that summer. Dawson, having signed fresh terms in February 2012, was previously contracted to the club until June 2015, with a further year’s option in Albion’s favour. last_img read more

Indoor track teams conclude regular season campaigns at UMaine

first_imgORONO — Local indoor track teams competed in their final regular season meets Saturday at the University of Maine.Ellsworth, Mount Desert Island, George Stevens Academy and Sumner competed in the first meet of the day as participants in the morning session. Ellsworth topped the local teams on the boys’ side with a fourth-place finish, and MDI placed third to finish the day as the top local girls’ team.Bucksport competed in the afternoon meet and took fifth on the boys’ side and seventh on the girls’ side. Senior Carter Tolmasoff won the 55-meter dash for the Golden Bucks with a time of 6.8 seconds.The teams will return to UMaine to compete in the Penobscot Valley Conference championships Saturday, Feb. 9. The meet will begin at 9 a.m. in order to accommodate the UMaine men’s hockey team’s home game at 7 p.m.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textlast_img read more

Lynn tosses 2-hit complete game, Rangers beat Rockies 3-2

first_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditDENVER (AP) — Lance Lynn allowed two hits in the first inning on the way to his first complete game in six years, Nick Solak homered, and the Texas Rangers beat the Colorado Rockies 3-2 Friday night.Lynn (3-0) gave up singles to the first two batters he faced and Garrett Hampson scored from third on Nolan Arenado’s groundout. Two Texas errors in the sixth led to an unearned run for Colorado. Lynn fanned six, struck out the side in the eighth before closing out his first complete game since Sept. 11, 2014, at Cincinnati. He lowered his ERA to 1.11. It was the third career complete game for Lynn, who also beat the Rockies in Texas on opening day with six scoreless innings. Rockies: RHP German Marquez (2-2, 2.08 ERA) faces the Rangers for the second time this season. He was the tough-luck loser on opening day at Globe Life Field, dropping a 1-0 decision on July 24.___More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Solak evened the score at 1-1 when he led off the fifth with his first homer of the season, driving the first pitch from Ryan Castellani into the right field seats. The homer snapped the Rangers’ four-game homerless streak, their longest since going homerless for four games Sept. 4-7, 2015.Solak helped to tie the game again in the seventh, doubling off Jeff Hoffman and scoring on Rougned Odor’s single.Daniel Bard (1-1) took the loss. He hit pinch hitter Derek Dietrich with a pitch leading off the eighth. He scored from third on Isiah Kiner-Falefa’s double-play grounder.The Rockies scored in their half of the first on an RBI groundout by Arenado.Colorado starter Ryan Castellani, who pitched four hitless innings in his major league debut at Seattle last week, went 4 2/3 innings in his second career start. He allowed two hits, both to Solak, and fanned seven, striking out the side in the first and third innings. Lynn tosses 2-hit complete game, Rangers beat Rockies 3-2 August 14, 2020 TRAINER’S ROOMRangers: C Robinson Chirinos was placed on the 10-day injured list with a lingering sprained right ankle. The move was retroactive to Tuesday. Chirinos also had tweaked his left ankle and had missed the Rangers two previous games. “I think it’s the best. Robbie agrees,” manager Chris Woodward said. “He needs to get fully healthy. He wasn’t contributing like he wanted to, but that had a lot to do with his health.” … In other moves, the Rangers recalled C Jose Trevino and selected RHP Juan Nicasio from the alternate training site. 1B Greg Bird opted for free agency after being outrighted Tuesday.Rockies: INF-OF Chris Owings was held out of the lineup after leaving Wednesday’s game against Arizona early due to left hamstring tightness. Manager Bud Black said Owings likely would miss several games.UP NEXTRangers: RHP Kyle Gibson (0-2, 4.11 ERA) will look to break into the win column for the first time this season. Associated Press last_img read more

Hospital expansion stalls in panel

first_imgHospital officials had hoped to break ground in 2008, adding a neonatal intensive care unit and replacing a good chunk of the 359 beds lost when Granada Hills Community Hospital and Northridge Hospital-Sherman Way closed in recent years. Carmody said he thinks an EIR, which requires the hiring of an outside reporting firm, lengthy public comment periods and more stringent, state- mandated regulations, would unnecessarily hinder construction. “Obviously, that’s a big disappointment for us. From a hospital point of view, any delay is a tremendous problem. We run at close to 100 percent occupancy every day.” MISSION HILLS – Providence Holy Cross Medical Center’s plan to add 136 beds to the San Fernando Valley’s badly stressed health care system has come under fire from residents and union and environmentalist activists. Claiming the project could cause illness, blight and traffic, the unusual coalition got the $143 million tower expansion plan put on hold for two months while the Los Angeles City Planning Commission considers whether it needs a full environmental impact report. Activists with the Sylmar Neighborhood Council, environmental groups and health care workers union say requiring the report will protect the community’s interests. Hospital administrator Kerry Carmody said Holy Cross wants to be receptive to locals’ concerns, lowering parking costs, conducting a traffic study and planning an energy-efficient facility to minimize environmental issues. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more