Student Union Board brings back concerts, increases programming

first_imgThe Quinn XCII concert was a successful re-establishment of a major SUB event, and the group is also putting on small events for students on a more consistent basis. SUB’s presence might not always be the most noticeable on campus, but it offers a variety of programs.Grade: A-Tags: 2017 Student Government Insider, Student Union Board, SUB, SUB Talks Though the Student Union Board (SUB) is mostly known for its concerts, the group also wants to provide students with more consistent smaller events this semester, executive director Jackson Herrfeldt said.“We at SUB are more than just a concert,” Herrfeldt, a senior, said. “I do think the concerts are successful … but we are here for the student body. Everything we do is directed towards the student body. So one of the things we wanted to focus on is finding the smaller low budget events where we just bring free food.”So far, these smaller events have included recent hot cocoa giveaways, cookie decorating and berry giveaways. A particularly well received event was Cuddles and Cocoa, Herrfeldt said.“We got some of the rectors’ dogs to come out for Cuddles and Cocoa,” he said. “To see people walk by and realize this was going on and get some free hot chocolate and pet a golden retriever puppy — it makes someone’s day, and that’s what we’re trying to focus on a little bit more.”One of the most successful SUB events so far this semester was the Quinn XCII concert, which Herrfeldt said received overwhelmingly positive feedback.“I think our biggest [event this] semester has been the concert that we held Friday night,” he said. “We had over 600 people show up and the maximum capacity was 629.”Senior Samantha Meehan, a director of programming, said the group is focused on bringing entertaining performances to campus in whatever form that may take.“The first few weeks of school we had [“Saturday Night Live” cast member] Melissa Villasenor come perform at [Washington] Hall, which was a really great event,” Meehan said. “We got a lot of people out there, and I think that show was a really great opportunity especially to show us go back to our roots, which is comedy. Next year, though, we’re looking at branching a little bit away from that and trying to do different things — whether that be mind-readers or magicians or hypnotists — and trying to bring different shows to campus that are [not] necessarily just comedy.”Senior Audrey Thellman, program director, said the group is thinking of new ways to expand events.“Services started out strong when we had Fall Mall — which was the event where you bring Bed Bath and Beyond and a Carpet Depot to campus for incoming first year students, and there is a huge crowd every time,” Thellman said. “… We adhered to students’ needs more, and we planned a poster event for the first week of school rather than just at Fall Mall.”SUB also hosted a fundraising turkey trot for Fighting Irish Fighting Hunger earlier this semester, and students still have the annual finals stress relievers event — where SUB brings food to campus from different vendors — to look forward to next week, Thellman said. She also said the new SUB Talks are a way to bring speakers on a variety of topics to campus.SUB designs the wide variety of events they host in the hopes that they will appeal to students of all interests in the student body.“[We try] to provide for other people who have different interests or targeted interests,” Thellman said. “The person who wants to go to Acousticafe may not be the same person who wants to see improv comedy, so you want to incorporate all parts.”last_img read more

Jonathan Groff, Tina Fey & More Join Tony Awards Lineup

first_imgJust a little bit (OK, a lot) of star quality! Add Jonathan Groff, Tina Fey, Orlando Bloom and more to the list of stars who will make appearances at the 2014 Tony Awards this Sunday. They will join a bevy of previously announced celebrities, including Bradley Cooper, Clint Eastwood, Carole King and Kevin Bacon. Will Radio City Music Hall even be able to handle this amount of star power and the seriously awesome lineup of performers? We can’t wait to see what’s in store on June 8! In addition to Groff, Fey and Bloom, the newly announced stars set to make appearances at Radio City Music Hall include Patrick Wilson, Samuel L. Jackson, Judith Light, Barrett Foa, LL Cool J, T.I. and former Tonys host Rosie O’Donnell. Star Files View Comments Jonathan Groff Judith Lightlast_img read more

The Dominican Republic Closes in on Crime

first_imgBy Julieta Pelcastre/Diálogo October 24, 2016 The Dominican Republic Ministry of Defense bolstered its Internal and Citizen Security Plan in Support of the National Police with the addition of 1,000 members of the Army, Navy and Air Force. The plan, created in 2013, is coordinated by the Unified Joint Command of the Armed Forces, which rotates its command between the three armed branches Major General Braulio Alberto Alcántara, general commander of the Army, assumed control of coordinating the plan on September 2nd at the Ministry of Defense headquarters. Present at the event, was the Minister of Defense, Lieutenant General Rubén Darío Paulino, who announced the increased support for the efforts of the National Police (PN, per its Spanish acronym). “This plan has always been updated based on the police presenting us with their needs. Since its implementation, we have made 18 adjustments to keep our cooperation and operability with the police force up to date. Thus, we have been able to combat organized crime and other criminal activity,” said Lt. Gen. Paulino to Diálogo. “Of the 1,000 military members assigned to increase citizen protection, 500 officers were mobilized in September at Santiago de los Caballeros, known as the ‘Heart City,’ in the country’s northern zone. The goal is to reduce the number of assaults, robberies, and violent crimes that occur in that area. The security situation in the country should begin to improve,” said Major General Nelson Peguero, general director of the PN. The remainder of the military troops will be deployed in cities where higher crime rates have been recorded, such as San Cristóbal, La Altagracia, and Santo Domingo, where they will check vehicles, search individuals, and establish checkpoints at intersections jointly with police. Approximately 38.8 percent of Dominican citizens see security as the most important issue facing the country. According to the Latin American Public Opinion Project, published in 2014 by Vanderbilt University, 23.4 percent of Dominicans report having been the victim of a crime. The Dominican Republic is ranked 99th on the global peace index and “can be considered a dangerous country,” the report said. Until September 2016, some 2,000 men have been mobilized in the various places where the police have detected criminal activity. “This is made possible by mapping crime,” the Ministry of Defense reported. “Understanding the police dynamics became a challenge during the plan’s development. But despite that, it has not been hard to do. We have made advances; there are no downsides to the planning. There has been close coordination from the Armed Forces Command to the PN leadership,” added Lt. Gen. Paulino. Daniel Pou, associate researcher for the Latin American School of Social Sciences in the Dominican Republic, said that “between January and August of 2016, the Dominican Attorney General reported a homicide rate of 17.57 per 100,000 inhabitants. This is the lowest rate in the past 15 years. The highest homicide rate was in 2005, with 26.56 percent. The most common crime was armed assault in dwellings, shopping centers, and on the street.” The Dominican Republic has laid the groundwork for the fundamental transformations that are needed in terms of citizen security. In addition to the Internal and Citizen Security Plan in Support of the National Police, the country also has a more modern legal framework. Notable are the PN reform law and other basic initiatives like the Arms law, the Asset Forfeiture Law and the law creating the 911 emergency service. On August 19th, during his swearing-in as president of the Dominican Republic for the 2016-2020 term, Danilo Medina stated in his speech that, “the police reform law allows us to have a police that is up to date, more highly trained, more disciplined, closer to the people. We are going to complement this legal framework with better training, equipment, and a dignified salary for our police officers.” For Lt. Gen. Paulino, the new NP plan will allow for more effective support to the Dominican society. “This is our role. We are Dominicans, and we are a part of society. We must act together to intervene in support of our society. There is a lot of trust as a result of having this coordination among members of the Armed Forces and the National Police.”last_img read more

FB : Syracuse fails to find balance on offense in 21-point loss to USC

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments LOS ANGELES — This time, pass heavy wasn’t supposed to be the game plan.The Syracuse offense running 17 more pass plays than run plays wasn’t what SU head coach Doug Marrone envisioned for Saturday’s game against Southern California. And because of that 38-pass-to-21-rush dynamic, the Orange finished with less than 100 total rushing yards for the second straight week.‘This week we came out, we wanted to do a couple of different things,’ Marrone said. ‘We had some shot plays we wanted to take, we wanted to be able to be 50-50 and be in a close game and be able to run the ball.’Unlike last week, when Marrone said Syracuse came out with a plan to pass against Rhode Island’s defense, SU’s goal was to establish both a solid passing and rushing game to keep the Trojans defense honest. But running back Antwon Bailey struggled to get going on the ground, and the Syracuse defense couldn’t contain the Trojans in a 38-17 loss in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The Orange was forced to throw often to try and come back from a double-digit deficit in the second half.Despite Marrone’s desire for balance, Syracuse came out attacking through the air on its opening drive. Quarterback Ryan Nassib conducted an efficient 12-play, 70-yard drive down the field, completing all eight of his passes.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBut much of SU’s early aerial push came on short passes to Bailey. The running back couldn’t gain substantial yardage on the ground, but he found success catching the ball in the flat.The senior, who caught 35 passes last season, had just one reception in the first two games this year. But he caught four passes for 34 yards on the Orange’s first scoring drive, capped off by a 23-yard field goal by Ross Krautman.‘We were ready to go and came down and got the ball first and made some plays,’ Nassib said. ‘It was unfortunate that we couldn’t get a touchdown, but we were happy to move the ball and get some points.’Syracuse took those three points on the opening drive but struggled to score the rest of the game. There was no rhyme or reason to when the Orange’s drives stalled — at the USC 48 on one drive, a three-and-out in another.But there was reasoning behind why the drives stalled. Too often, Nassib was faced with throwing deep on third-and-long because the Orange didn’t run the ball well enough to set up a third-and-short.‘This was a big night for us on defense,’ USC linebacker Chris Galippo said. ‘And we went into the second half and played solid. The first two weeks we gave up too many big plays and big drives. Tonight we were able to avoid that.’Syracuse came out of the locker room to start the second half down 17-3, a score that could have allowed for the Orange to keep a balanced offense early on.But after the Trojans’ marched down the field and scored a touchdown within four plays, SU had to really open up the offense and became one-dimensional.Down 24-10, Syracuse drove into Trojans territory, at the USC 35, and threatened to cut into the lead. But failed second-and-third down plays ended the threat.On third-and-8, Nassib was sandwiched by USC defensive linemen Shane Horton and DaJohn Harris. They both collapsed on the Syracuse quarterback, bringing him down for a loss of 4 yards and forcing the Orange to punt.USC scored on the ensuing drive and pushed the Trojans’ lead back to three scores, squashing all hopes of a comeback.‘It kind of had to do with the flow of the game,’ Bailey said. ‘… They made some great plays, and they made some good adjustments.’Syracuse leaves LA with some question marks on offense. Bailey had fewer than 15 carries and fewer than 50 yards rushing for the second straight game. Nassib displayed accuracy, completing 67.6 percent of his throws, but most of those throws were of the short-range variety.And the Trojans sacked Nassib three times on Saturday — the second straight game in which the SU quarterback was taken down on three separate occasions.So while Syracuse has moved the ball through the air, it hasn’t put the points up to go with it.‘Toward the end I made some mistakes trying to do too much, and that’s when the offense stalled,’ Nassib said. ‘They dialed up more pressure and did some things we hadn’t seen.’mcooperj@syr.educenter_img Published on September 17, 2011 at 12:00 pm Contact Mark: mcooperj@syr.edu | @mark_cooperjrlast_img read more