Knee woes: Steph, Kyrie not expected back until playoffs “I deserve it after this match,” Federer said. “That’s how I feel.”Kokkinakis became the lowest-ranked man to beat a No. 1 player since No. 178 Francisco Clavet upset Lleyton Hewitt in 2003. That upset was also at Key Biscayne.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“Pretty crazy,” said Kokkinakis, 21. “I’m pretty happy about it.”Federer now has lost back-to-back matches for the first time since 2014, a dip that comes after a career-best 17-0 start to the year. He lost to Juan Martin del Potro in the Indian Wells final Sunday, a defeat that also came down to a winner-take-all tiebreaker. Federer won’t be playing to reclaim the No. 1 spot anytime soon. He said he’ll skip the upcoming clay season for the second year in a row, including the French Open.During a stadium ceremony before the night session, tour professionals joined members of the boys’ and girls’ tennis teams at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School to promote a fundraising campaign for victims of last month’s mass shooting there.Federer’s match turned when he played a poor service game and was broken at love to fall behind 3-1 in the second set.“That game I knuckled down and put pressure on him,” Kokkinakis said. “I started to dictate from there.”Kokkinakis never broke again but held the rest of the way, consistently topping 125 mph with his serve.“Every time I had chances, something bad happened,” Federer said. “Wrong decision-making by me, good decision-making by him. It’s disappointing. I don’t know why I couldn’t get to any level I was happy with today.”Federer kept one exchange going by hitting a volley behind his back, but couldn’t win even that point. He laughed then — it was early in the match — but looked grim two hours later as the end neared.On match point, Federer buried a backhand return in the bottom of the net. Kokkinakis screamed in celebration, waved his index finger and gestured for more noise from the appreciative capacity crowd.Kokkinakis said he didn’t mind that fans were firmly in Federer’s corner during the match — and even before it.“When I came on court there wasn’t much cheering,” Kokkinakis said with a laugh. “He came on court with a little delay and that sort of strut he does, and I was like, ‘This is pretty nuts.’ The crowd goes nuts when he does his walk onto court.” Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback The walk to the exit was the last at Key Biscayne for Federer, a three-time champion. The event is moving next year to the Miami Dolphins’ stadium.Nadal will become the new No. 1 even though he missed Key Biscayne because of a hip injury that also forced him to skip Indian Wells.Kokkinakis is healthy for a change. The tournament is just his fifth in the past seven months, but he said he thought he could beat Federer.“When I’m playing on my terms, I don’t feel there are too many people that can go with me,” Kokkinakis said. “I just needed to play my game and aggressive tennis.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil MOST READ Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism View comments In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Did the losses have anything in common?“Yes, 7-6 in the third,” Federer said. “Other than that, not much.”The 6-foot-5 Kokkinakis has long been regarded as a promising talent thanks to a thunderous serve and forehand, but has been plagued by injuries. The match was his first against Federer, although they’ve practiced together.“I’ve always liked his game,” Federer said. “I’m happy for him that on the big stage he was able to show it. It’s a big result for him in his career, and I hope it’s going to launch him.”Federer’s defeat left both No. 1 players out of the tournament. Simona Halep lost hours earlier to Agnieszka Radwanska 3-6, 6-2, 6-3. Eight-time women’s champion Serena Williams and six-time winner Novak Djokovic were also eliminated in their opening matches.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Roger Federer, of Switzerland, wipes his face during his match against Thanasi Kokkinakis, of Australia, at the Miami Open tennis tournament, Saturday, March 24, 2018, in Key Biscayne, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. — Roger Federer lost his second consecutive match and the No. 1 ranking Saturday.Big-serving Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis, a qualifier ranked 175th, rallied to upset Federer 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (4) at the Miami Open. The 36-year-old Federer had been the oldest No. 1 man ever, but he’ll lose that spot to Rafael Nadal when the new rankings come out April 2.ADVERTISEMENT
Bauxite mining company, Bosai Minerals Group Guyana Incorporated (BMGGI), is looking forward to major future developments that will enhance its operations in Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice), which according to the company’s Secretary, Norman McLean, will also lead to a major boost in employment opportunities within the community.At a recent meeting with representatives of the Regional Democratic Council (RDC), McLean said the company is currently working to establish a new kiln, which will be added to the two already existing ones at its Linden operations; in addition to the setting up of a new dryer.As a result, the company’s Secretary also indicated that Bosai is also seeking to re-implement its apprenticeship programme which was suspended a few years ago.Additionally, McLean related that Bosai is working towards the resuscitation of the abandoned aluminium plant at Mackenzie, Linden. “I’m happy to report that Bosai is in the move to establish a number 15 kiln, a new one which will be a third kiln for our operation. That will be a real boost for employment here and we hope that this will be up and running sometime next year. But we’re already moving ahead with that and a new dryer as well. So, there’s very optimistic news being taken for the people of Linden,” he stated.In an effort to have suitably qualified persons on the job, McLean said the company is also working towards the re-establishment of its apprenticeship programme which in the past saw scores of youths from the community benefiting. In 2015, the company had laid off approximately 30 of its apprentices, citing a decline in production and sales as the main reason.The company had indicated that as a means of cutting back on its expenses, it was forced to release all of its apprentices. However, according to McLean, the new developments will see a re-introduction of the programme.“The same will happen, because in order to provide qualified employment for our young people, we have to maybe go ahead with another hundred employees, another hundred apprentices because work will have to be up and running,” McLean added.The establishment of a new aluminium plant by the company is also expected to boost employment once all goes well. “And we are not only looking forward to a new dryer and a new kiln but we’re looking forward as well to trying to resuscitate a new aluminium plant. That is something that we’re looking at and we’ve already filed with the GGMC (Guyana Geology and Mines Commission)…,” he said.Citing environmental concerns, Regional Councillor Charles Sampson said it is his hope that the company takes adequate steps to protect the environment. “I hope that with Bosai’s improvement and whatever infrastructure they’re putting in, they put in the dust collectors. And putting in the dust collectors will not only take the dust out the atmosphere but it has a financial benefit for the company,” he noted.McLean, however, assured that there is scope for development given the current environment at Bosai. “We are looking forward to not only putting in new apprentices and what have you but putting in for certain properties that are going to be needed to help feed that number 15 kiln and feed the dragger. So, I would love to say to the employees and the people of Linden that there’s optimism and scope for development in Linden given what is taking place,” McLean stated.